Friday, March 27, 2009

To Utah and back

Well I think Melissa needs an update. This week was another spontaneous trip to see my family in Utah. I have learned when Ben says "Let's go to Utah," I run and get in the car before he changes his mind. This was a quick trip but I got to see my family and Ben's brother Josh and his wife Jerusha. It was so nice to see everyone and we did get to have some random fun.

On the way down we stopped at Antelope Island to see some Buffalo and of course Antelope. I think there is a reason I have never been there. There wasn't much to it but I think it could be better in the summer. Ben and I may return someday. I would say one thoe up and one thoe down.

But then for more randomness. The next day we toured Mrs Cavanaugh's Chocolate Factory in north Salt Lake. After Antelope Island we drove past this little wonder. And Ben, who is really a big kid disguised as a man, got all giddy inside and had to go. He wanted to flip a U-turn on the freeway and bolt to the factory but he refrained until the next morning so we could go with my parents. Ben was in heaven! The smell of chocolate just makes him happy so you can imagine his delight in a Chocolate Factory. We even got to see Mrs Cavanaugh in person. It was actually fun and pretty educational. Ben now believes chocolate is good for you and will fix cavities not cause them. (that movie was a wee bit biased!)

So, the rest of the trip was full of visiting and eating. Why not gain a few Utah pounds? Can we say Cafe Rio, The Mayan and the Lion House Pantry...hello, calorie intake.

Sadie Dog enjoyed the trip as well. She did so good on the long drive. And loves Grandma and Grandpa Nielsen. I think she misses them already. But at least she will always have a piece of the toy Grandma bought her, eternally stuck in her colon.

Now while I am back home, Ben is camping at the base of Mt St Helens. He is hiking it tomorrow morning with his brother Adam and our friend Jimmy Carter. Hopefully they are safe. I have until Sunday night and then I have permission to call Search and Rescue. I am not nervous or anything. Can you tell? OK I am a little nervous. My husband is climbing active volcanoes. And thanks to my Mom I have seen Dante's Peak five thousand times. Honestly, I am more worried about them falling into the crater then the mountain exploding...again... Jeesh, I hope I can sleep tonight.

1 comment:

Maren Nielsen said...

Im so glad we were able to see you guys! Glad you had some fun! See you in Hawaii.....Whoo Hoo...did you hear that? I said Hawaii!

Maren