Sunday, March 1, 2009

Slumdog

I just watched Slumdog Millionaire. Ah, I loved it. That was such a good movie. It had it all; romance, comedy, drama. I fell in love with the little characters. I cheered and I cried.

The Academy picked a great one this time around. If you haven't seen it, I recommend it...yeah, me and two hundred thousand other people. I know I am probably the last person to see this show but I just hate not having that after-movie conversation. So, I had to blog about it.

What struck me the most was that even though it was definitely a fictional story the circumstances are not that far off. I saw a news story about the little kids that were in the movie and they really do live in the slums of India. The director bought their families a condo to live in after the movie won Best Picture. But I was thinking that director could probably buy the whole slum a new condo. Even though it feels like we are in a horrific economic meltdown, we still have one of the wealthiest countries in the world. It is just amazing.

Anyway, I love a movie that you go away from smiling--and with a little more understanding of the world around you. This one did that for me.

1 comment:

Maren Nielsen said...

Good to know! I havent seen it yet. I actually dont watch many movies. I think most movies are full of a bunch of trash and are just a waste of time. I love finding a good movie that makes you feel good after watchig it. Hard to find......Maybe I will give this one a shot:)