Tuesday, September 30, 2008

"Bye, bye, Miss American Pie"

Married couples fight about a lot of things. Money. Kids. Religion.
But Ben and I only fight about one thing: politics.

Ben is a staunch republican; as conservative as they come. It could be the corrupt liberals in Washington State who have destroyed his outlook on American politics but he is not very open-minded about the whole thing.
I love him for his passion but when it comes to politics he can get a little too passionate.
I am a moderate; a typically, conservative-leaning moderate. But I don’t know who to vote for in the upcoming presidential election. We'll just say the Sarah Palin choice didn't impress me. But that may be for another post.
I made the mistake of telling Ben not to shout at the TV during Friday’s debate and let me hear both sides. Later, he confronted me about “liking” Obama and now I am in trouble. He actually said he might have to divorce me if I voted for Obama! (I know that wasn’t a literal threat but see the kind of crap Ben says in a little political squabble? I guess he missed Friendly Political Debate 101 and goes straight for the throat.)
I am trying to have an open mind and decide who would be the best leader for our country. I found a website of journalists to help in understanding the truth about the candidates and the campaigns--www.factcheck.org. Hopefully, it will help in my decision-making process.
I will keep you updated but if I want to stay married, I better not post who I finally decide to vote for. All I know is that I am voting in this historical election--I just might cancel out my husband’s vote.

4 comments:

Lacey Sue said...

That is EXACTLY why Chad and I just don't talk about it...same reasons just reversed. I am conservative, he's a bit more on the liberal side. It gets mighty ugly 'round these parts when we decided to get into a political "discussion"...hehehe, I hear you loud and clear!

Em said...

I am so sorry! That is why politics is one of those subjects I hate! But thanks for the website-it could be helpful!

Maxfields said...

It sounds like I need to call you and chat. You are saying things that I totally have thought. We watched the Friday night debate too and it was quite interesting. I like to watch the debates. Thursday night is the VP debate, I believe. Anyway, sorry you have to argue about anything, but you should still make your own decision on "your" vote.
Angie

Anonymous said...

Dad and I have cancelled each others votes out for years, but I think I have finally converted him. We'll have to see!!! Keep it friendly, Ben!! Love Mom Nielsen