Monday, August 18, 2008

"On the Road Again"

It has been far too long since my last post. Well, I have been in Forks, WA. Figuratively and literally. Figuratively, I road the bandwagon to Forks with every other red-blooded American woman over the age of 12 with the time-sucking, Twilight Saga. I had a late start so I have been reading the series over the past month just in time for Breaking Dawn's release. I am glad I gave in and started reading it. It has been so much fun.

But Literally...I went to Forks this weekend. Ben and I got a call on Friday afternoon telling us the boyscouts needed a ride home from their 50-miler down the Washington coast. So, they got us "the willing couple who needed a good excuse to get out of town" a van and some cash to stay in a hotel and we started out on our little adventure. I was so excited to know the closest town to the end of the scout hike was FORKS, WA! I couldn't believe how excited I was to visit Bella and Edward. I am such a dork but I was a little giddy. I kept referencing the book. "Well, the book says La Push is about 15 miles outside of Forks." and "It should take about an hour to get to Port Angeles from here, well, that's how long it takes Bella to get there." I even grabbed my book instead of the map one time and Ben and I just laughed.

At about 10:30 p.m. we thought we might be sleeping in the van. The whole town was booked! No Vacancy in Forks, well almost... There was one hotel with a no show but he couldn't give the room to us until 11 p.m. At 10:55, the no show, showed up and we were out. But luckily, another hotel called with another no show. We ran out toward La Push, and Jacob greeted us at the border... just kidding. No, it was a tiny little cabin on Maxfield Homestead Road...(Thanks Angie.) that resembled a stable. No room in the Inn you know... There were chickens, roosters, and Lamas, surrounding the 8 little 10x12 cabins. But that is all we needed. It was so much fun.
It was a quick trip but so nice to have Ben all to myself. We really needed a mini-vacation.
And I got to go on my unofficial Twilight Tour!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess I am going to have to break down and read those books....a movie, too, how exciting!! Love, Mom

Rachel said...

That is so awesome! I'm so jealous! Did you see Bella's house? The Cullen's house? The School? The cliff that Bella jumps off of? I want more details! Did you get any pictures?!

Jillyan said...

What a fun adventure! I might have to go on a little road trip to Forks next time I'm in WA.

Maxfields said...

No fair, no fair, no fair!! Not all of us live that close to Forks ya know! : ) But really that is so awesome! I am jealous, but I am happy you got to go, so you could tell me about it. And you stayed at a Maxfield Stable, cool! I think we totally need to go to this movie as sisters. How could we not! Marianne and mom are the only ones left to read it.

Angie

Mindy said...

How funny! I'm glad you jumped on the bandwagon... a good read, ya? I'm just sad it's over!

Unknown said...

I have enjoyed those books too. My 12 year old students got me going and then I just couldn't stop. I then got Jessie hooked and now even my mom is reading them! (see Luanne you can do it!) Jessie will be jealous that you got to go to Forks.