Friday, August 29, 2008

I need to vent

I just ran down 15 flights of stairs. Well, more than that...15 floors. Someone pulled the emergency alarm at my hotel as a joke. It was 4:30 a.m. and my hotel has two towers of 25 floors.
All I grabbed was my cellphone.

They said a false alarm like this happened a few months ago when the hotel hosted a polio convention. They had to evacuate 200 people with polio.

No.1. I am grateful for my working legs. and my running shoes. I would have had a problem jogging the stairs in my heels or in a wheelchair.

I always wondered what I would grab in case of a fire. Well, being in St. Louis. I should have grabbed my whole purse but I just grabbed my cell phone. I guess I could have made it back home, seeing how my flight was already booked but I would have had to beg for money.
Why my cell phone? Well, my thought process was, "If there is something bad, I have to be able to tell Ben that I am alright. And that I love him."

No one else grabbed anything, except the room key. Why didn't I think of that?
Again, with the whole purse thing.

Anyway, thanks for listening blogging world. I just needed to vent.

7 comments:

Lacey Sue said...

MELISSA IT'S YOU!!!! IT's good old Lacey Marshall (a.k.a Williams)...I found your adorable blog through Kathryn's! It's good to catch up with you on your life...I totally envy where you live!! Ah, heaven.
As to the "What I would grab thing.." I have often thought this...I have come to the conclusion that all material "Things" are replaceable. I would grab my kids...and...MY CELL PHONE!! To do all the calling that would be needed afterwards. So your instincts are the same as mine...go girl!

Em said...

Well I am glad it wasn't a real emergency! Geez! That is not cool! We are missing you! Give Bennie a kiss for us!

Jillyan said...

The same thing happened to my Mom and sister when we were in Seattle a couple of years ago. Except we didn't even get out of bed. Good thing it wasn't a real emergency. Someone had burnt toast.

Anonymous said...

Melissa, You need to write a book about your travels...from Florida to Baltimore...to St. Louis... It would be a best seller. Love, Mom

Maxfields said...

Crazy! I would be very bugged as well. I don't know what I would grab though. I would probably be panicked and not grab anything.

Love,
Angie

Mindy said...

I'm always afraid that I'm going to have to make a quick decision like that... I have nightmares about things like this, especially now with two kids. One in each arm? We put all of our social security cards and special documents in a portable file box just in case we ever have an emergency, but I'm not sure if I would even think to grab it.

Amanda said...

My neice pulled the fire alarm once at a hotel we were staying in. I have never seen so many firetrucks in my LIFE!

Mand