Tuesday, July 1, 2008

"High on the Mountain Top"





Talk about a weekend warrior! Ben climbed Mt Adams last weekend with his brother Adam. Honestly, a part of me thinks it was just a good excuse to buy more gear from REI. But nonetheless, I am so incredibly proud of him. Mt Adams is the 2nd tallest mountain (or shall we say glacial volcano!) in the state of Washington next to majestic Mt Raineer. He climbed up 12,300 feet in elevation in a day. They left home last Friday morning and started the hike at noon and got to high camp that evening after 8 miles. They started the climb at midnight and hiked through the night. They reached the summit at 9 a.m. and back down by noon.

This was Ben and Adam's first mountain and Ben says it was the hardest thing he has ever done. But they say they will do it again. There was only one portion of the mountain that Ben said he would never do it again. But once he hit the real summit, he understood why people do this kind of thing. --The view--

I am just glad he was safe. They say this was a really good "beginner" mountain. It was steep and hard 8,000 elevation gain and 20 miles round trip but not really any crevases to fall into.

Our mountaineering friend Doran and his brother Lance, led the group up the mountain and pushed Ben and Adam to the tippy top summit. They are very experienced and I felt good trusting my husband's life in their hands.

Well, way to go babe! I knew you could do it. Seeing how you can do anything you put your mind to. I love him so much. He is my motivation.



4 comments:

Megan Morton said...

They did it! Yeah!

Adam is going with Lance to climb Mt. Baker this weekend, and I wish Ben was with him.

I agree, climbing is their excuse to go shopping to REI more often. We have already been there twice this week, what can be more often than that?

Maren Nielsen said...

Way to go Ben! Thats an incredible accomplishment. Which mountain will be next?

Maren

Em said...

I am so impressed! Just promise me that he is not in training for EVEREST!!! Who is the hunk in the background???? Whoa!

Em

Maxfields said...

That is amazing! What an accomplishment, Ben! That is something you will always remember. That is really cool!

Angie