Saturday, July 26, 2008

"Do you love me, now that I can dance..."

This weekend the South Sound area put on a 12 stake dance festival! 12 stakes! At first I really thought this was going to be too big, too much time, trouble and way too much wasted money on costumes, food and renting out the Tacoma Dome! But now that it is here, I understand why. I went to the first performance last night and the dome was packed with people to see the show, members and nonmembers alike. But when all the kids from 12 stakes around the region all ran out and filled the floor to do the opening number I was giggling and wanted to cry at the same time. I was so excited for these kids. It was so fun to see them all come together knowing how much time and effort it took to put it together.
This neat, proud parent-type experience, (well, pseudo-mom, Mackay was in the front row, and his sailor costume was soooo cute) turned into a spiritual experience for me when a youth choir sang the EFY As Sister's in Zion/We'll Bring the World His Truth number. The spirit was so strong. This really is His youth, the next generation of leaders in the church. It was just amazing. My heart really was filled.
I love these kids so much(especially my nephew Mackay). I learned a new love for my YW girls this year especially at Girls Camp. I saw a small glimpse of how God sees each one of His girls and how much he loves them and wants them to be happy. Even though, Girls Camp for me was an emotional one and my patience was tried, I know I was used as an instrument in God's hand to tell my girls certain things. My group of girls at camp were some of the hardest behavior-wise, but also some of the most troubled. Truly, refugees just trying to find a safe place.
I really am learning how to share the gospel and to truly not be ashamed of the gospel of the Lord. The secret is to just be myself. Sharing myself is sharing the gospel.
I hope everyone has a good weekend. And yes, Emily, I will post photos of your sweet, lady-killer son. Man, I'm gonna miss him. I will try to get some of him in the sailor suit, you are going to die!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful experience!! I would have loved to have been there. It is something that will be remembered all your and Mackay's life. Love you all, Grandma Nielsen

Em said...

Thank you for letting Mackay spend time with you and Ben! I have missed him greatly but I know that he needed this experience! Thank you for all of your support! I love our talks! You may be the last Nielsen but you have a perspective that the second Nielsen needs! I love you!
EM

Maxfields said...

That is so cool! I am glad you got that opportunity. It is something that you will always remember. PLEASE post some pictures of Mackay in his sailor costume. I really need to see that! : )

Angie