Monday, January 12, 2009

The Dark Side

I was honored for two years in the row as the “Friendliest Staff Member” at my college newspaper. I didn’t get “Most Cut-Throat Reporter” Or “Hardest-Nosed Journalist” but “Friendliest.” Again at the trade magazine I was referred to as the “Nicest Person on Staff.” I am not trying to gloat here. I am making a point. I was never cut out for the “do or die” newspaper world. I hate when people hate me and everyone hates a Journalist (at one point or another)

Well, I had a realization today when I got wind of a juicy, news story. This is not typical since I am usually writing profiles and features. I rarely get a good newsy tip but this was pertinent news. So, I jumped on the story, researching all the slimy, little details. My story was getting good. I had color, underlining accusations, and mudslinging quotes. It was a story the newspaper journalists would have eaten up. They would have loved every gossipy little detail backed by all the facts.

Then…I realized the effect this story could have on the association, on the company with the dirty hands, and on me as the writer. The sexy news story, as journalists would call it, was not something I could publish in my newsletter.

So, after a call to the association president to discuss the story and the ethical responsibility we have to inform the public but to also save our face… I re-wrote the story. I took out all the fun stuff. All the colorful quotes and the “they say this, he says that” dialogue. I turned my meaty, news story into a plain old informational PR article.

A part of me was sad to do it. But the other part of me knew it was the right thing to do for my association. Some would say I have crossed into the dark side of journalism. Dark because PR bends the truth and journalism is pure of heart. Well, I have learned that everyone doesn’t have to know every gory little detail in order to understand the situation. I have learned it the hard way before. And I wasn’t going to do it again. I have to worry about the consequences and realize what I say or in this case what I print is going to have an effect on people.

My realization: I am cut out for PR. It took me until now to realize it but I am.
I should have known when they named me “Friendliest” the first time. PR are always friendly.

Now that I got that out I must try to go to bed.

6 comments:

Em said...

This is why we LOVE you! You are amazing!

Jillyan said...

I think it is great that although you were caught up in the moment of a juicy story, you still let your values get the best of you. That is sometimes really hard to do, but in the end you did the right thing. I admire that in you. Like Emily said, you are amazing!

Mindy said...

Melissa, I really liked this post. #1, it made me laugh a little, you are really passionate and I think it's fun how you like doing what you do so well. #2. I'm really proud of you, I think you did the right thing. :) It's good to hear how you are doing.

Maxfields said...

This is why I live through you, even though you are my baby sister, you are a fantastic role model and example. I am sure that was hard, but probably was the right thing. Way to go! Love you!
Angie

k myers said...

Good work! That would be really hard, I am glad you didn't join the dark side!!!!

Megan Morton said...

Melissa, you should post an update! :)