Wednesday, April 9, 2008

“Life is what happens when your busy making other plans.” --John Lennon.

It starts when you are born. Life just moves us all through time and phases dictated by age. With each "right of passage" there is usually a title with things you are supposed to have accomplished in that level in life. Society and culture sets the criteria. A 16-year old is supposed to be in high school, driving and dating. The patterns start when he enters the world and the steps are set for the American kid through kindergarten until high school and college graduation.

Then real life starts. There are no more set levels or hoops to jump through. The decisions of what to do in life or where to go next is not predetermined anymore.

Here I am. Recently, age 25. Waiting… Realizing this is it. This is my adventure. I am completely in control of my life and my future. There is no title or door with my name on it. There is no rule book determining what a 25-year old ought to be doing or how she should be dressing. How many kids she should have or what she should be doing next.

I don’t know where I thought I would be. The decisions I made, the small seemingly meaningless decisions, have brought me here. Whether I knew it or not, my everyday choices were shaping my path in life. And my life is simple and sweet. I don’t live a grand life but I can’t say it isn’t what I wanted. I don’t think we can ever even dream up the details. But I am making goals. I am setting my own next level and it isn’t scary anymore.

I am thrilled I have so much freedom before me. Every choice is mine. And I choose to live in my moment right now and stop worrying about what’s next and why I’m not there yet. I still plan and think about tomorrow but I enjoy my today a little bit more.


3 comments:

Maren Nielsen said...

All I can say is.......what beautiful words.

Jillyan said...

I agree with Maren, very beautiful words! I have been thinking a lot about the same thing the past couple of days. It was Elder Ballard's talk on Sunday afternoon that started it. He was talking about living in the now and not in the future. I know we are at different stages in our lives, but the same principle applies.

I know I definitely get caught up in the hussle of every day chores. I need to focus more on the small and simple things before my boys are 18 and moving out of the house (yikes!). Great thoughts!

Amanda said...

MEL!!! Yeay! I am SOO excited that you BLOG! I completely, whole heartedly, one hundred percent understand how you felt about joining the blogging world when you don't have kids yet! We are totally in the same boat! However, I have found that it is still AWESOME for keeping in contact with friends and family! Just so you know, I FREAKED OUT when I opened your blog and read the title of your blog. I thought.. "She has a KID!!!!?????" I about crapped my pants until I read that you got a dog. We have a dog too! She is about the same age! Her name is Chaco. So a TON of my friends live in Oregon/Washington area and I have decided we need to take a road trip that way! It would be a blast to see you again!
Mand